So many topics abound regarding taurine and how it helps prevent DCM or dilated cardiomyopathy in pets, dogs and cats alike. But did you know that taurine has other benefits aside from giving your pets a healthy heart?
TOP 5 BENEFITS OF TAURINE TO CATS & DOGS
- Reduces the risk of DCM in cats and dogs. Cats cannot synthesize taurine, that’s why they need it in their diet. On the other hand, dogs are not spared from DCM either. Some breeds are predisposed to DCM, that’s why there’s a need for taurine supplementation in their dog food as a preventive measure.
- For your pets’ healthy eyesight. Taurine is essential to maintain healthy eyesight in pets. Without it, their retinas may deteriorate. According to ScienceDirect, “high levels of taurine are found in the anterior part of the eyes.”
- Supports brain health. Taurine helps regenerate brain cells. “It plays a critical nutritional role in brain cell growth, differentiation, and development,” according to a study published in Molecular Medicine Reports.
- Supports reproductive health. In cats, lack of taurine may lead to reproductive complications like reproductive failure or poor growth in kittens. Taurine also promotes reproductive health in cats and dogs.
- Protects the immune system. According to an article published in PubMedCentral, “the fundamental role of taurine in the immune system is related to its antioxidant properties. Taurine protects tissues from oxidative stress associated with the pathology of various inflammatory diseases.”
The advantages of taurine in our pets’ food are crucial indeed. That’s why Addiction Foods has included it in all of its dry pet foods for cats and dogs 20 years ago. We believe that taurine is an important component to the overall health and vitality of our pets.
Addiction pet foods are available at your local store.
For further reading: